Brooklyn Borough Assistant
Housing Court Answers is hiring a part‐time Borough Assistant assigned to Brooklyn.
Housing Court Answers is a nonprofit organization committed to fighting for the rights of unrepresented litigants in Housing Court. Housing Court Answers provides information on landlord/tenant issues at information tables in NYC Housing Courts and the NYCHA Informal Hearing Office and through a hotline. HCA also works on policy issues surrounding Housing Court. For more information on our organization, visit our website at hcanswers.org.
Borough Assistant will work at our Brooklyn information table providing information and assistance to unrepresented people in eviction cases. Work also includes coordinating task force meetings and events, monitoring the Housing Courts to identify problems experienced by unrepresented litigants, and helping with telephone hotline. Hours are Monday to Friday, 9am to 1pm or 2pm and occasional afternoons ‐must work 23 hours per week. Job location is primarily in Brooklyn, but requires occasional work in other Housing Courts and in our office in Lower Manhattan.
- Commitment to social justice
- Ability to work with the public in a stressful and chaotic setting
- Experience with landlord/tenant issues, tenants’ rights, public benefits, and NYCHA rules and procedures
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Bilingual, preferred Spanish or Creole
- community organizing skills preferred
Benefits include single health insurance, paid sick and vacation leave, and paid holidays. 23 hours per week with an annual salary of $24,342. Union salary is subject to collective bargaining.
Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with Brooklyn Borough Assistant in the subject.