Housing Court Answers seeks a part time coordinator for its Staten Island Housing Court Information Table. HCA, an independent nonprofit, provides legal information to unrepresented people in Housing Court at Information Tables in all five boroughs. The Staten Island Coordinator will work independently at the Staten Island Housing Court at 927 Castleton Avenue. The Coordinator’s responsibilities include helping litigants by providing information about Housing Court and court procedures, assistance in completing forms, and referrals for legal assistance, rental arrears help, and social services or organizing. The Coordinator will also present workshops and trainings on Housing Court, organize advocacy around increasing access to justice in Housing Court, plan meetings of local advocates, annual meetings with key court staff, and carry out court monitoring activities.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
• Coordinate services at the information table in the lobby of Staten Island Housing Court
• Work with HCA staff and local advocates on advocacy campaigns to further the rights of unrepresented people in Housing Court
• Develop workshops and trainings on Housing Court procedures and related housing issues for advocates and social service providers in the Staten Island
• Design and develop information sheets and other tools for educating unrepresented litigants on their rights and on court procedures
• Plan court monitoring of Staten Island Housing Court Judge
• Bachelor’s degree preferred
• Demonstrated commitment to social justice
• Demonstrated ability to work with the public in a stressful and/or chaotic setting
• Demonstrated knowledge of housing, tenants’ rights, and rent regulation
• Strong verbal and written communication skills in English and preferably Spanish
• Strong ability to work independently and collaboratively
Salary and Benefits:
The salary is $28,514.74 with health insurance and paid sick and vacation leave. Hours are Monday to Friday 9am-1pm with one day 9-5. The coordinator will come to the main office in lower Manhattan for the afternoon of their long day to work on planning and administrative tasks.
Email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with SI Borough Coordinator in the subject line.