NYCBS’ Bike Fleet works to make sure that our bicycles are in working order for our customers by completing work in our bike shops as well as in the field via Bike Mechanics, Field Bike Technicians and Field Bike Mechanics. Field Bike Mechanics are a new position to bring the expertise of a Bike Mechanic into the field to make repairs on-the-spot as needed. Training on technical and unique aspects of Bike Share bikes will be provided.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Assist with assembly, maintenance, and repair of a fleet of over 6,000 bicycles, troubleshooting and devising solutions as needed.
- Complete repairs in a professional, efficient and timely manner.
- Complete reporting as required, ensuring that all reporting is accurate, complete and timely.
- Adhere to scheduled assignments and schedules.
- Follow all required procedures and policies.
- Respond to requests from manager(s).
- Assist in maintaining an OSHA compliant workplace, following any required work safety rules.
- Work to help manage the inventory, organization, and cleanliness of their own work tools and supplies.
- Maintain a positive relationship with all co-workers.
- Work under the guidance of the Bike Fleet Manager and Assistant Managers.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Experience repairing bikes, working as a mechanic or working in a related hands-on repair role required; experience working as a NYCBS Bike Mechanic or Field Bike Technician is strongly preferred.
- Experience riding bicycles in city environments with pedestrian and vehicle traffic.
- Excitement and interest in bike sharing is a must.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Technical and mechanical aptitude and innovation.
- Adaptability – Enthusiastically adapt to changes in the work environment.
- Dependability – Follow instructions; respond to management direction; communicate frequently; solicit feedback to improve performance.
- Interpersonal skills – maintain confidentiality; remain open to others’ ideas; demonstrate patience and willingness to try new things.
- Creativity – actively seek creative solutions and continuously seek to improve all aspects of shop operations.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds; stoop, bend, and stand for long periods of time.
- Willingness and ability to work outdoors, year-round, in most weather conditions
- This position may require hours which exceed 8 hours per day and/or 40 hours per week.
Click here to learn more and apply.