Help For Older Homeowners

The Center for NYC Neighborhoods is offering assistance to older homeowners. Learn about free financial and legal assistance for senior homeowners in New York City. Get help! Before making any financial decisions about your home, make sure you know the facts!

Call 311 and ask for the Center for NYC neighborhoods or reach them directly 646-786-0888. Their network of professional nonprofit service providers can assist you with the following services at no cost to you:

  • Estate Planning and Financial Counseling
  • Home Repair and Retrofitting
  • Mortgage Loans Modifications
  • Tax Liens
  • Legal Help

Free help is just a phone call away.

SCRIE and DRIE applications now available

Senior Citizen Rent Increase Exemption (SCRIE)  and Disabled Rent Increase Exemption (DRIE) forms are now available for the 2017 year. These applications assist seniors and the disabled with obtaining rent freezes. The applications can be downloaded and completed online, or obtained from the CB8 office.

Applications can be obtained here.

In addition, if you lost your SCRIE or DRIE benefits in the past for failure to recertify on time, the Dept. of Finance (DOF) wants you to know that if you were receiving this benefit from December 1, 2011 onward and were unable to renew your Rent Free benefit because you needed more time due to a disability or physical impairment,  you could still be eligible for the benefit. According to the DOF, tenants/applicants who lost the benifit, then re-entered the program at a higher frozen rent should submit the “application for Additional Time to Renew Lapsed Benefit” form. If you are a tenant/applicant who lost your benefit and have not subsequently re-entered  SCRIE/DRIE, you should complete the “Applicaiton for Additional Time to Renew Expired Benefit” form.

These forms are available at the SCRIE/DRIE walk-in center located at 66 John Street, 3rd Floor in Manhattan 

Free Legal Services for All

Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams is pleased to present Free Legal Services for All at the People’s House, Brooklyn Borough Hall, 209  Joralemon Street, Downtown Brooklyn.

Legal services are offered in a variety of fields. Please call 718-802-3777 to make an appointment.


Homeowner Protection Program (HOPP)

Did you know that since 2010, almost 3,000 New Yorkers have have been victims of foreclosure rescue scams? Legitimate help with your mortgage is just a phone call away.

Free, professional advice is available through the NYS Attorney General’s Homeowner Protection Program (HOPP). Call 1-855-466-9456 (1-855-HOME-456) today to connect with a qualified legal services or housing counseling professional.

You can also visit

Free Legal Services for All


Recap: “How to Form a 501(c)(3) Organization”


“How to Form a 501(c)(3) Organization” took place on Saturday, January 28th, 2017, and was a great success! I was joined by over 100 people as we discussed the legal requirements, tax documents, and challenges associated with forming your own non-profit.

Special thanks to Jacques David of the The Legal Aid Society, Lisa Steadwell and Lloyd Rodriguez of the Brooklyn Pitbulls, and Bishop Gonzales of MACADEMY for taking part in this dynamic event!

See below for information resources:

Presenter contact information

Important links

Lastly, don’t forget to mark your calendars for the next event in the Community Exchange Series, “Status Update on the Bedford Union Armory part 1.” See you there!