Con Ed announcement:
Between now and 2022, we will be installing nearly 5 million smart meters. They’ll provide you with more information about your energy use so you can make better energy decisions.
You’ll get a postcard from us about three months before we come to your neighborhood, and a letter 45 days before installations begin. If your meter is outside, you don’t need to do anything. If you need to be home for us to access your meter, we’ll let you know how to make an appointment.
Installation is quick and easy, with only a brief pause in electric power. We’ll leave you a note to let you know your new meter was installed and remind you to reset your clocks and appliances.
To learn more visit, click here.
The Lafayette Gardens Community Center, operated by Grand Street Settlement, needs your assistance in acquiring mentors for their Young Men’s Initiative in the Lafayette Gardens community.
Young Men’s Initiative (YMI) is a mentoring program geared toward young men in high school. The mission of the YMI Cornerstone Mentoring Program is to support high school students during the transitions from high school into college and career, by cultivating positive personal relationships and community involvement. Throughout the year mentees and mentors will take part in workshops developing leadership abilities among our youth that will strengthen their advocacy and work readiness skills. In addition to service-learning projects, mentors will provide youth with guidance on the college application process, employment, attend trips and visit colleges.
Get a head start on your High School Application—learn more about High School Admissions at Family Workshops this July:
Introduction to High School Admissions Family Workshop: Learn how to find public high schools that fit your interests and how to build a balanced application.
Specialized High Schools Admissions Family Workshop: Learn about the Specialized High Schools Admissions Test (SHSAT), find out about the LaGuardia High School auditions, and speak to school representatives.
RSVP to secure your seat at HSFamilyWorkshops.Eventbrite.com!
Citi Bike is seeking an outgoing and organized intern to assist with community outreach for expansion as we grow the system into the 2017 expansion neighborhoods – Harlem, Astoria, Crown Heights, and Prospect Heights.
Duration of Internship: June 2017 – November 2017
Key Aspects of Position:
- Work with the Education and Outreach Manager to identify business and property owners adjacent to planned Citi Bike stations
- Conduct door-to-door notifications to every business and property owner directly adjacent to a Citi Bike station
- Maintain a database to track progress of notifications
- Report back on feedback from notifications
- Accompany Deployment team when stations are being installed
- Field questions and provide customer service to assist Deployment team
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalency required
- Outgoing go-getter who has the ability to relate to others and is not afraid to engage with members of the community
- Excellent communication skills
- Highly responsible, well-organized individual
- Ability to take direction and to learn basic facts about the Citi Bike system
- Tech savvy, ability to learn smartsheets, the NYC zoning and land use map, and other computer programs
- Has a smartphone and the ability to add and utilize new applications
- Comfortable with frequent or prolonged standing or bicycling
- Willingness to work outdoors and in all weather conditions
- Must be 18 years of age or older
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Working knowledge of Spanish, Cantonese, Greek, Arabic a plus
- Working knowledge of NYC neighborhoods